I spoke at a college recently on the value of networking and how to build one’s contact data base. One young woman asked an interesting question: “How do you go about building a network when you are new in a town and don’t know anyone?” Very good question.
My first response was asking her if she was in a church and she wasn’t. She seemed dismayed with my suggestion. To me that is the first place I would go to meet people and start my network.
• Many of them have career groups that help people find jobs; these are very practical programs
• One doesn’t have to be a church member or even a believe to participate
• If they don’t have a career group most churches will have people willing to help others via conversations or other small groups
• Many churches offer courses in financial management and other life skills
• They may discover other benefits too!