I just heard Dennis Prager make an interesting comment: Secularism leads to narcissism. Wow, that simply says a lot! I think he is right, if there is no God who is left to be in control?
And what does narcissism lead to? Lots of things!
Just to name a few:
• Go to an AA meeting and hear stories of self-pity parties that lead to medication with alcohol and other escapes
• Look at legalizing marijuana, what else could it be but to find an artificial way to feel good. When does it become an addiction that holds us back from real success?
• Job dissatisfaction, if one’s job is “all but me” who can be happy in any job?
• As Dennis said, if you don’t believe in God you must be your own higher power. Again in AA, this is one of the biggest issues to overcome
• Over spending, we don’t want to deny ourselves anything we want when we are self-centered
• Relationships suffer when we just think of ourselves. Who wants to be around someone who just thinks of himself?
• Making or own rules fails us when they are not consistent; then we get frustrated or maybe even act out violently
• Elections become voting for the guy who will give us the most of what we want, not what is good for the country and future generations
These are just a few things that quickly come to mind. My point is that secularists that may mean well may actually be making us unhappy. Their “practical” approach may very well be undoing the practical goal of happiness!